Caring for My Braces
To properly care for your teeth while wearing braces, be sure to take extra time when brushing. With braces, cleaning teeth can be more difficult and special brushing tools are available to assist. Getting in between the braces and under the wires are critical to keeping your smile healthy. Floss-threaders are helpful in passing floss under archwires to facilitate flossing of the teeth. Oral irrigators are often helpful to loosen up food from around the teeth. Mouth rinses can also be used to help reduce the level of bacteria around the teeth.
- Brush after every meal or snack to remove food that may get caught in braces.
- Brush down from the top and then up from the bottom on each tooth with braces.
- Focus on a few teeth at a time and make sure they are free of food and plaque before moving on to the next set of teeth.
- Make sure the area between your gums and braces are clean.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash to get to areas in your mouth in which a toothbrush cannot.